In recent years steel roofing has finally begun to gain the recognition and praise it deserves. But, because asphalt shingles have enjoyed a virtual monopoly on residential roofing for decades and people tend to stick with what they know, steel roofing still represents unfamiliar technology. The fact is however that steel roofing will make your home more valuable, beautiful and energy efficient. So it’s in your best interest to investigate this state-of-the-art roofing option. Still, you may have questions regarding what type of maintenance a steel roof requires and so below we’ll go through the main points to cover with your steel roofing contractor.
Maintenance Questions to ask Steel Roofing Contractors in London
The best way to ensure your steel roof has a long, trouble free life is to have a pro perform an annual maintenance check. Chances are this check won’t turn up any problems but it’s a good idea just for your own piece of mind. Here are the things you’ll want steel roofing contractors in London to check on during a maintenance visit.
- The state of the gutters – In order for your steel roof to do its job properly the gutters and downspouts have to be clear of dirt and debris. Overflowing can damage not only the roof but the exterior walls of your home as well.
- The state of the flashings – Anything that penetrates the roof (like a skylight) needs flashing around its base to ensure water doesn’t penetrate into the house. You’ll want your steel roofing pro to check on the state of all the flashings on the roof, particularly if you’ve recently had work done to your chimney or had a vent installed.
- Damage from falling branches – Steel roofs are tough but they’re not indestructible. During extreme weather events large branches can come crashing down and cause damage to the most robust roof. If you were not home at the time it occurred you may not even be aware any damage was done. It’s important to check for damage from falling or flying debris annually.
- The paint job – One of the many great things about steel roofing is that it can be painted whatever colour or colours you wish. Again, however, during extreme weather events flying debris can scrape and scratch the paint on your steel roof. Your steel roofing pro can point out exactly where things need to be touched up.
- The washers – The panels on a steel roof are often separated by neoprene washers. These can sometimes break down over the years due to exposure to weather or UV light from the sun. It’s a good idea to have the steel roofing pro check the washers annually and replace any that need replacing.
London Eco Metal was one of the first steel roofing contractors in London. Experience tells us that with just a little common sense maintenance your new steel roof will still be serving your home well a half century from now. Give us a ring to find out more.