You’re in and out of your house every day, but how often do you really look at your roof? If your roof is 10-15 years old, you should look at it more closely than you think! It’s better to spot the signs from the outside, instead of waiting for that leak to appear in your living room ceiling.
Here are some signs that it’s time to replace your roof:
- Roof Age – Although you may have purchased 25 year shingles with a lifetime warranty, chances are, they may need to be replaced sooner, and the warranty isn’t as glamorous as you thought it was. Depending on your attic ventilation and weather conditions, some shingles last only 8-12 years; especially if the previous layer of shingles wasn’t removed. Since metal deteriorates at a much slower pace than asphalt shingles, you can rest assured that a metal roof will likely last beyond your lifetime.
- Curled Shingles – Stand in front of your home and look up at the roof. If you can see that your shingles are lifting and not laying flush with one another, chances are you will need to replace your roof very soon. Curled shingles tend to lose their granules, check your eaves troughs for granules – shingles tend to lose more granules towards the end of the lifecycle.
- Missing Shingles – Cracked tabs, especially on fiberglass shingles, will cause parts of the shingle to break off. Check your troughs and yard for broken shingles that may have lifted off in the last wind storm. With London Eco-Roof’s progressive mounting system, you will have peace of mind knowing that your roof is securely fastened and will never fly away.
- Moss and Algae – Check your roof for black streaks and growing moss. These will tend to grow on the north side of your roof, with less exposure to the sun. The black streaks are a type of algae which, if left untreated, can prematurely age the roof.
- Flashings – If you have a chimney or any dormers on your roof, be sure to inspect the flashings to ensure they are not damaged or peeling away. London Eco-Roof will replace all flashings and roof vents to ensure a perfect installation that will protect your home from the elements for years to come!
- Valleys – These areas tend to be trouble spots as a large amount of water makes its way down your roof. If the shingles in your valleys are lifting and cracking, this is a sure sign that a leak may be imminent. Check your attic.
- Attic – Check your attic for dark spots on the wood – this is a sign of water leakage. Check around vents, pipes, skylights and other openings. A small leak can take some time to make its way through the insulation, it’s best to catch it before then. Make sure you can see daylight through the soffits for proper ventilation; at the same time making sure that no daylight is coming through the roof boards.
After inspecting your roof, if you feel that you are unsure whether or not it’s time for a new roof, one of our dedicated roofing consultants would be happy to help you. With metal becoming the choice material for roofing, don’t get left behind with asphalt shingles. Call London Eco-Roof today for your free quote and excite yourself knowing you’ll never have to re-roof again! Best of all, London Eco-Roof provides a 55 year, non-prorated and fully transferrable warranty; increasing your property value and curb appeal.