The integrity of your home rests as much on the state of the roof as it does on the foundation. If either is poorly constructed or otherwise compromised it can have a cascading effect throughout the entire house. Making sure the roof on your home is as good as it can be is essential then to not only keeping the house dry and safe, it’s also vital to retaining or enhancing your home’s value. And no other roofing material will provide a bigger boost to the value of your house then metal. The reasons metal roofing is such a value winner have as much to do with things that aren’t seen as it does with the obvious aesthetic boost it brings to the home.
3 Subtle Benefits of Metal Roofing for Kitchener Homes
Metal roofing looks great. But it’s more than a one trick pony. Here are 3 not so obvious benefits of metal roofing for Kitchener homes.
- They’re Fire Resistant – While engineering advances in recent years have made asphalt shingles a bit safer than they used to be they’re still capable to making any house fire worse. Asphalt is after all a petroleum product. Metal roofs by comparison can actually help buy you valuable escape time in the event of a house fire by putting a non-flammable cap on the fire and denying it the upward draft it needs to thrive.
- They’re Environmentally Friendly – Compared to shingles and some other materials that actually soak up the sun’s heat and make your home hotter, metal roofing does a great job of reflecting sunlight and thereby lowering your air conditioning costs. In addition where asphalt shingles are typically made using primary resources metal roofing is often made largely of recycled materials.
- They’re Easier on Your House – Most homeowners don’t think about it but asphalt shingle roofs are incredibly heavy. All this weight is creates enormous stress on the framing of both the roof and the exterior walls. When you install a metal roof on your home you relieve most of this pressure which can actually increase your home’s longevity.
Bonus Benefit – Metal roofing can be customized to fit your most exacting design needs. Metal shingles are available that mimic whatever type of material you desire including asphalt shingles, ceramic tile, wood and more. No other roofing material provides you this type of design flexibility.
Metal roofing for Kitchener homes is an idea whose time has come. Besides making your home look great and making it better able to stand up to the voracious Ontario winters metal roofing will also go a long way toward making your home more energy efficient and safer in the event of a fire. That added element of fire safety will also likely result in a decrease in your homeowner’s insurance premiums. So there’s one more hidden benefit you need to consider. Call London Eco Metal on 1-855-838-9393 to learn more about the outstanding value that is metal roofing.
Metal roofs in general last longer than shingles, are more durable, provide more reliable protection during heavy weather events and are available in an astonishing array of colours and designs. Steel is the most popular metal roofing material, but why is that? Is it simply a matter of price or are there other factors in play that make steel roofing the go-to choice for so many home and business owners?
Why Steel Roofing in Toronto is So Popular
Steel roofing in Toronto is by far the most popular kind of metal roofing. Let’s take a look at the 5 different types of metal roof to see if we can determine why.
Copper – Copper has been in use as a roofing material for centuries. Many people consider it the most aesthetically pleasing roofing material and it’s certainly long lasting. So why isn’t it the most popular type of roofing material? One word: cost.
- Timeless aesthetic appeal
- Can be completely recycled
Aluminum – While copper is the most expensive type of metal roofing aluminum isn’t that far behind. It does have one advantage over copper though in that it can be made to mimic the look of other roofing materials like shingles and tiles. Something copper doesn’t do particularly well.
- Design versatility
- Seals itself
- Can be painted
- Good for coastal areas
Tin – While the word “tin” is often used to describe virtually any type of metal roof the fact is that real tin roofs are a rarity. Tin is every bit its own element, just like copper, and not just a catchall word to describe metal in general. Most roofs that are referred to as tin today are actually galvanized steel.
- Design versatility
- Hard to find real tin roofing
Zinc – A lot of people like zinc as a roofing material because of its self-healing abilities, its relative affordability and its looks. The self-healing referred to above is a quality of the metal whereby the patina tends to expand over small damaged areas returning them to the fold visually and functionally.
- Cost effective
- Long lasting
- Easily manipulated
- Some people don’t like the chalky look
Steel – Now let’s look at steel and see why it’s in such demand. First of all the steel you install on your roof is probably made of recycled materials. Second, it’s readily available from virtually every company that does metal roofs. Third, it costs less than copper, zinc or aluminum. Fourth, it’s easily fabricated into an array of shapes that mimic other materials. Fifth, it can be painted to match any design considerations. So let’s recap.
- Extremely versatile
- Low maintenance
- Very durable
- Recycled and recyclable
- Widely available
- Not easily damaged
There are a number of good reasons why steel roofing in Toronto is so popular. Call London Eco Metal to find out more about how a steel roof can enhance the look and value of your home.