There are a lot of reasons both practical and aesthetic to choose steel roofing from London Eco-Metal Manufacturing. Those reasons include ROI, energy efficiency, aesthetic adaptability and the wide range of style options available, just to name a few. But there’s one more reason steel roofing in Toronto should be on your list of home or business improvements this year: low maintenance. When compared to the most common form of roofing – asphalt shingles – steel roofing provides significant savings on both short and long term maintenance.
Low Maintenance: Another Advantage of Steel Roofing Toronto
Maintenance can represent a significant long term burden in both time and money and always needs to be factored into the cost of a particular roof. Let’s look at the maintenance requirements of both steel and asphalt to see what we’re talking about.
Asphalt Roofing Maintenance Requirements
- Removing debris from the roof – Particularly after heavy weather events. It’s crucial to the life of your shingles that someone get up on the roof after intense storms and also in the springtime to clear debris from the roof.
- Inspecting the shingles – While you’re removing the debris from your roof you also need to inspect the shingles themselves to ensure none have been damaged by high wind or flying debris. If they have they need to be replaced ASAP.
- Inspecting the flashings – The flashings around the chimney, skylights and other protrusions should be checked at least twice a year to ensure their integrity. If they get damaged the water they let in can undermine the roof, walls, wiring and insulation of your home.
- Inspecting for moss – Moss and algae on your shingles can promote their breakdown. During your flashing inspections you should also check for the growth of mold and algae on the roof.
- Checking for overhanging branches – Trees can grow faster than you think so you need to keep an eye on any trees growing near the house to make sure no branches are hanging over or worse, rubbing against the roof.
Maintenance Requirements for Steel Roofing in Toronto.
- Washing the roof – In the springtime and perhaps in the fall too you may want to hose your roof down to clear it of dust, dirt and any leaves that may have gotten stuck.
- Inspecting after extreme weather events – There may be high wind events that send branches and other flying debris into your roof. As such it’s smart to inspect the roof after such events.
- Replacing damaged panels – In the unlikely event your inspection revealed any damaged panels simply call the company that installed the roof and inform them of the problem. They should be happy to replace any panels for you in a timely fashion.
As you can see maintaining your steel roof is a less intensive task than properly maintaining asphalt shingles. This is one more reason why steel roofing in Toronto has taken off in recent years. If you’d like to learn more about steel roofing give London Eco-Metal Manufacturing a call and talk to one of our metal roofing experts.